Tuesday, May 26, 2009

How did I get here?

I've never been thin. I was heavy all through college and my 20s. But, before I turned 30 I lost all the weight and at my wedding I was the lightest I have been since high school: 151. Now, after gaining 60 pounds (gulp!) in my first pregnancy I have about 9 to go before I'm back to pre-pregnancy weight, but I'm 20 away from my "goal" weight.

I lost my "Freshman 15" (more like "30") in 2001-2002 when I was in graduate school in North Carolina. Everything was aligned for success. I was single, or in a long-distance relationship--which means no "date night" food to deal with, and the 'wow' factor of my weight loss was a great motivator since I only saw the boyfriend every month or so. The weather was beautiful year-round. Duke had a fabulous and huge indoor gym/weight-room/free yoga and aerobics classes. I lived with two marathon runners... it was time to shed the weight. Once down to my 'goal' weight of 158--it took me a year to lose the 30 pounds--I had so much fun shopping for clothes.

In the years since I have gained back some of that weight but was usually pretty successful in getting it back off. I was a regular at the gym--minimum twice a week. I really lived by the Weight Watchers program. I became a Lifetime Member when I finished losing the weight in 2002.

Then in 2007 I got pregnant and I started eating whatever I wanted (mostly things with cheese) and I stopped exercising. I told myself this was okay as I was exhausted. I gained 60 pounds. When my son was born in May of 2008 I lost the 1st 30 pounds in two weeks. It's a year later and I have since lost another 21 pounds mostly without trying (yes, I'm nursing...). I did go back to WW when my son was 10 weeks old but I haven't been very careful about tracking.

For me, tracking is key.

Then in January I helped a friend at work with her weight-loss goals. I coached her on the Program. She lost 35 pounds. She looks amazing!!!

Now, I want that for myself. I can do it. I've done it before. It will take sacrifice. It will take rejiggering my already chaotic and time-crunched life. But I can do it. I have great support in friends and husband.

The blog is intended to help me track my eating. It'll also help with accountability. It worked for Svelte Mommy! Of course, she's much more into the nutrition than I am...

1 comment:

Jenna Nober said...

Fantastic! Imitation is really the highest form of flattery. I think you'll find the blog very cathartic. Also sometimes at night I would post my food and then I knew I couldn't eat after that or I'd by "lying"

I like you you're thinking in terms of problem-solving, not excuse-making. This proves to me that you will be successful.